I played with both sites tonight and during break time at work today. I showed Second Life to Marilee. I am amazed at the time people must spend participating in Second Life. Marilee and I looked at the events list. There was a yard sale going on, Christmas parties being organized etc. I watched CSI NY a few weeks ago and their show was based on a murder that used Second Life. Luckily one of the detectives knew about Second Life and was able to get involved and the murder was solved. Wonderful television story. That show did make me curious about virtual life. This Learning 2.0 discovery provided the opportunity to learn a little more. I know I will never do anything more with Second Life, but it was intertesting to navigate the site.
I volunteered today at the school where I taught before retirment and was I telling the people in their library about Second Life. They were fastinated. The librarian told me about her son playing the virtual games. Another worker mentioned seeing the CSI NY show and that got her interested in Second Life. She did get on their site and checked it out but didn't do anything more than that. Learning 2.0 has opened up a lot of conversations with people I may never have talked to about technology.
Facebook is a little more my speed. I have two friends now; Marilee and Maura. I added a fluff friend thanks to Marilee. The teen tech taught me now to superpoke a friend. TodayI superpoked my two new friends. I can handle Facebook.
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
wow! very cool that csi ny had featured second life on the show. unfortunately the media tends to exploit the negative features of the sites, like to catch a predator. (which could be a show about dinosaurs...)
also, very cool that you are engaging in conversation with people around you. technology is changing at a rapid pace and influencing the way we collect information, communicate with others, to name just a few. it is fun to try and get my aunt to join facebook.
Post a Comment